11/26/2005

Best band in the World Rocked Ottawa last night and I was there!!!!




Yes, after months and months of waiting. After countless hours of frustrations trying to get a ticket to the event thought CapitalTicket.ca, I finally got my ticket and what a ticket it was. Floor Level baby!!! 6th or 7th row from the catwalk!!! My friend Trish was able to find my buddy Claude and I some tickets at the 11th hour! Thank you again Trish!

What to say. I had a wonderful time. The opening band was great (Arcade Fire) and the show pretty much blew the place dowm. It wad been a few months since I had been to a concert in an arena... The last one was Duran Duran in Montreal last Spring. They did not dissapoint. Everything I wanted to hear I heard. THe stage was pretty cool and the fact that they played 15-20 feet from us was totally awesome.

Claude and I drove to the Corel Centre through the back way and did not get in Queen's Way traffic. We made very good time getting to the arena. Once inside, we met up with our friends Joelle and Ryan on the floor. It was great to bump into them just like that. We hung out a little but and then the show started. It's strange that I did not know theopening band. Ryan said they were cool and he was right. This morning I d/led some songs of theirs and they are quite tight as a unit. very melodic and a band i will no doubt follow more closely.

As they played I had a thought about the discovery of new music. I find it so cool that I know so many songs and so many bands yet, there will always be new ones that give me goose bumps... music is something that constantly evolves and will be forever a discovery ground. Quite cool when you think about it.

The set list was as follow:

2005-11-25: Corel Centre, Ottawa - Ontario
Support Act: Arcade Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / In A Little While (snippet)
Beautiful Day
Original Of The Species
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock The Casbah (snippet)
Bullet The Blue Sky / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

encore(s):
Until The End Of The World
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Yahweh
40


Some moments were simply surreal. We had to pinch ourselves. What is it that makes music sooo good for the soul.

I picked up the tour program for 20$. I resisted the $45 T-shirts they sold inside the arena and while we were walking to the car, I picked up a bootleg one for $10. A steal. So I bought some unofficial merchandise... what can I say.

This evening rocked. Thanks to all who made it so cool!

2 comments:

Palmer said...

You know, I don't think they played The First Time. It may have been on the setlist but I don't think they actually played it.

But...the setlist on u2.com is the same as the one you put up.

But then I checked out the review in the Ottawa Sun and it doesn't have it on there.

Hmm...did we lose out on a song? Or was I so into the concert that I forgot an entire song?

iBenoit said...

You're right that track was not played... I revised the listing. I wonder why it was up on the U2 site... not a common song.