2/26/2006

Weekender Report: 24.02 to 26.02

Cottage country for Artoo this w-e. No other plan. Just a few Episodes of 24, and some quality R & R time at my parent's cottage. It's nice to get away from it all sometimes and relax a bit. Gros merci à Mom et Pop pour m'avoir reçu à Val-des-bois.

I also finished watching 24 Season 4. Wow! What an awsome season. Much, much better than Season 3 (which was good - but no more). I won't get into details - wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone. Thre words: intense, solid and intense!! Watch it.

--
I sent an email to my university prof before I left in order to rectify an answer on the mid-term answer sheet. I had an issue with him saying that there are millions of people at one time in a single MMORPG game (such as World of Warcraft). I cited the Blizzard website with the answer 9They devide the games into guilds in order to avoid overcrowding). I got an answer today saying that I would get the right answer but that his answer would stand as these games have the capacity to host millions in one game. Are there any examples of MMORPGs with a million players? In my research - no. Maybe i'm wrong.

--
Interesting experience today. I did groceries at Maxi in Hull and I tried the "do it yourself" lane where you ring in your items yourself and bag all of your groceries. Interesting experience. I must say that it can get a little confusing when punching in a potato and you have 5 different kinds on the screen. Funny how they didn't give me $6.85 for my hour spent in the store - after all, I moved some produce, did cash and acted as a pack-boy. Go figure!

8 comments:

Palmer said...

I'm actually a fan of the bag your own system. Granted, it takes a few tries to iron out the wrinkles, but once you konw what you're doing, you're flying out of the shop!

Kev said...

I'm really not sure about what your prof is saying... MOST MMOG are seperated into different servers to reduce server stress, as you say. One of the few that differs from this philosophy (that I'm aware of) is EVE Online which is a pioneer in the "single-server persistent universe concept" (taken from their website.

They recently surpassed the 20,000 concurrent user mark (again, from their website), but that's a far cry from 1Million!

Also, are you talking about conccurent users, total paying subscribers, # of users logged in the last month?

And what course is this for... sounds pretty interesting!!

Ferda said...

Hey I wouldn't mind getting that 24 off your hands if you're done with it :)

I'm with Ryan on the do-it-yourself lane. It's much faster imo. That would be pretty sweet to get paid for it though since you are freeing up the other registers and doing everything yourself. This reminds me of something that bugs me. Have any of you used the MTO booths to get new license stickers or paid your parking tickets online? They will always tack on a convenience charge. This to me is a RIP OFF. By not going to take care of these things in person you're releaving these offices of congestion yet YOU'RE the one being charged a conveniance fee??!?! What a joke! Also setting up the online payment or setting up a booth is only a fixed cost. There may be some maintenance costs associated it with it but it's not like each time you use it it's going to require a variable cost to be incurred!!! I'm sure that the MTO and the City of Ottawa have already recouped the costs of setting up the online pay and the "conveniance" booths so why still charge the fee? It's all BS if you ask me!

James said...

nice rant Ferda

Kev said...

Nice rant indeed Ferda!!

Reminds me of something I heard in some of my business courses... including the user in the process! Those tricky little...

iBenoit said...

Many companies charge rediculous fees for administrative BS which often doesn't account to any work on their part.

I like this subject. I'll roll it up to the main page.

Ferda said...

ya my business background definitely came through in that rant didn't it? :)

It's just such a scam and the people have a right to know!

iBenoit said...

Mel, not everyone knows the code!! :)

I'm pretty sure I made a mistake or who in my selection... I hope it saved me $$$ and dodn't cost me more than I should have!