2/28/2006

XBox Media Centre is here!

Got my modded Xbox back yesterday and it simply rocks! For the uninitiated - the Xbox is basically a computer which can play games. When Microsoft sells them, they lock things up so that users can only play CD/DVD based games on it. Modding it means that you unlock the computer features and can use the system to your heart's content. Most people use it as a Media Centre to play music, DVDs, Video files and photo slideshow machine.

The XBMC (X-Box Media Centre) software is unbelievable. Slick, professional looking, powerful and user friendly. I upgraded the hard drive to an 80 GB one and spent a few hours sorting through some video, music and photo files last night.

Oddly enough, I wasn't able to locate the Radio station software on it. Maybe I need a different version of the software of a new program for it. I'll look into it today. I am having trouble hooking it to my network (half of the time, I get an error message when I try to connect to the PC Hard drives through the router). It's a question of time before it works.

I have a good collection of old Emulators on it already including MAME so this should hold me up for a while. I haven't peaked on the net to see which games are available on Torrentspy yet. I'm more excited about the Media Centre features for now anyways.

3 comments:

Matt said...

XBMC is great, do you want a hand with it?

(I also want to see that video game cabinet)

iBenoit said...

Sure. I'll drop you a line later today. Networking is not my strength!

Kev said...

Awesome! Just in time to compete with the Mac Mini media centre!! ;-)

Quick question, how well does the XBMC work with connecting to your iMac... Before I upgrade (since it is cheaper than the Mac Mini =( ) I want to make sure that M$ and Apple products work together on something!!!