3/05/2006

XBMC: Thumbs Up, Way Up!

After a week or so and way too many hours playing and customizing the XBox Media Center, I have to say that this is the niftiest mod job i've ever seen to a console.

I've managed to set the box to interact with all the computers on the network (with a little help from friends of course - thanks Matt!).

  • I added some custom icons for the Retro Emulators and XBox games (they look so sweet now!).
  • Today, I was able to figure out how to add scripts and where to find them (Streaming Internet Radio was the only one which was working when I got the machine). I added a dozen or so good streaming apps to it. It just keeps getting better and better.
Over the w-e, I tested out a few of the Retro Gaming Emulators and they are so much more fun with XBox controllers than they were with a keyboard and mouse - Just doesn't compare. Not as fun as the Pac-Man cabinet though (come-on... nothing compares to that!) :)

All in all, I am quite satisfied with my upgrade. $50 for a soft mod and then $70 for a new 80GB hard Drive... Oh and on Saturday, i was able to find an XBox remore for $15 tax included. It's definately the way to go. i can't say that I will be soing that much XBox gaming on it but to have the ability to copy games is definately a plus. I intend on using it more for watching movies and TV shows on it as it's much better than havingthe PC on all the time.

1 comment:

Palmer said...

Scripts = Sweet.

Mike is going to make his own scripts.