4/10/2006

Weekender Report: 07-04 to 09-04

Friday:

Glad to say that the presentation I had to deliver as part of my Communications class on Thursday went well.  I was feeling a little under the weather but the end product which was presented to the class was top notch. Happy it's over now.

Mini DVD Review: King Kong (2005)

First comment about this viewing: A question. Have you ever looked at the state of some of the DVD disks when renting ot buying from a rental store? Comment: What do people do with these disks?  Fingerprints - I understand. Dust - Okay. A minor skuff on the surface - maybe if you are unlucky. But other stuff… come onnnn! Some disks look like they have been spinning on a wheel made of concrete and that kids have been strapping them onto their feet and using them as skates. Then you wonder why disks get little pixelated blocks on the sccreen or skip… rediculous.  All this to say that the DVD I got skipped.

The film: Visually stunning. A little gory in some areas and a little too long. This poses a question about Peter Jackson as a director.  Is he ever going to make a film that is less than 2 and a half hours?  There were many parts in this one that could have stayed on the cutting room floor. I'll spare you the details but there were a few unseless relationships in the film that didn't add much to the story.   Jack Black was excellent and the big monkey was really well done.

Having seen the first one many times over, I can't say that this 2005 King Kong is essential to the history of cinema. Other than showing off visual effects, it's a little bit over the top. 7/10 rating.

Saturday:

Cinthia had a wedding shower to go to so I took advantage of that and finished watching Prison Break Season 1.  Second hald of the season was much better than the first.  They developed quite a few characters and kept them all into the folds of the storyline. Very well done! Cliff hanger was a dud.  I would have been sad had I been following this week by week and then right before the summer, they throw this at the viewer…  It made me wonder if they didn't film a successful end to the quest and since they got renewed for a season 2 went with this ending instead. Who knows.

In the evening after a dismal performance by the Montreal Canadiens against the Devils, I watched the ending of Gandhi, the 1982 film that won best Oscar that year in 9 categories. What a wonderful film.  Long: yes, but the crammed so much into that 3 hours. Essential movie viewing for fans of historic epic films. I would love to read more someday on the life of Gandhi. Very few men have been able to change or influence worldly events in history the way he did. 8.5/10.

Sunday:

Quiet day. My parents came over in the afternoon and we took a very nice walk down to the Gleebe. I had a good time and the weather was so beautiful.

No comments: