7/09/2004

Sounds: Buena Vista Social Club Live!!!



I decided yesterday to do a little excursion to go shopping and do a little touristy stuff. I jumped on a bus and headed to Montreal for the day. Little did I know what the day would offer.

Upon arriving to my destination, I headed down St-Catherine Street towards my usual stops (used record stores, book stores, etc.). I had completely forgotten the Jazz Festival was going on. For some reason or another, I thought it would be over by now.

Needless to say I had to check it out since I missed it for the last two years. This year marked the 25th anniversary of the festival and the organizers truly outdid themselves. The weather was a little sticky and humid but the ambiance made up for it. As I roamed the grounds, there were a dozen or so street entertainers playing with the crowds – A wonderful addition to the street festivities.

As I glanced at the program, I noticed that famed Cuban signer Ibrahim Ferrer was performing at la Place des arts with the support of the Buena Vista Social Club. I had to see them. See – in 2000, I discovered Cuban music through the magnificent film-documentary by Wim Wanders and Ry Cooder titled Buena Vista Social Club. I picked up the DVD of the film (which I strongly recommend by the way) and a few CDs of the Cuban ensemble band and was immediately hooked. Simple people with a strong spirit signing about daily life, passion and hardship.

The following year, I visited the festival and leaned that they were playing to a sold out audience. I was disappointed but swore that should the opportunity present itself again, I would not miss it. After all, how many more concert tours will the 76 year old Ferrer do. Well, this was it. I decided to get some cash and try to get one ticket from a scalper before the show. As I asked an attendant about where the entrance to the concert hall would be, she explained that since I was only looking for one ticket, I should try the gate ticket place as there might be a few cancellations at the last minute. Well, lo and behold, she was right, I ended up finding an 8th row ticket to see the Buena Vista Social Club presenting Ibrahim Ferrer.

The concert was just incredible. Sixteen elite Cuban musicians playing a very tight show which gave the 3000 members of the audience chills throughout the three hour show. Mr. Ferrer was sublime. His 76 year old voice was surprisingly strong and his warmth and joie de vivre came across every song. Both audience and musicians seemed to really enjoy the performance. I had a wonderful time that will be cherished for the rest of my life.

If you have never taken the time to listen to a Buena Vista Social Club record, I would suggest starting with the original CD or DVD. Very touching and feeling music that will have you moving in no time.

To see some pix of my excursion visit the pictures section of the site.

No comments: