1/22/2006

2006 CD Discovery #5 - Matt Mays - Self Titled


Artist: Matt Mays
Album: Matt Mays

The skinny: Folkish, Dylan/Neil Young/Blue Rodeo sounding guitar album which introduced me to an artist which could be worth following in years to come. I can't say that I didn't like the CD. It's good music but it didn't blow me away. I gave it at least 3-4 full spins this week and I found myself finishing the CD and just moving on to something faster and more upbeat. It made for some good mood music in the background as I read but it didn't stand out.

I guess I was hoping for something a little more upbeat after I got the CD and read about him. Palmer then said that his later album is much more rock sounding. I shall have to borrow a copy sometime to try it out.

Fav. songs: Your Heart & Sometime Soon

1 comment:

Palmer said...

Yep...first album is something of an oddity.

But...it's like the classic albums of yesteryear...where the first album isn't the best of the bunch, but you can tell there's something good about this artist that will grow over time. I find nowadays there are too many artists who just don't this killer first album, and then fade away into nothing.

Start small, grow big.

Anyhow, the next album is great. Although...it's just like the first album...a bunch of killer tracks, a bunch of not so killer tracks. At least it's rocking so you don't need to put on something else afterwards. ;-)