1/18/2006

High cost of low prices

We watched the documentary film Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices tonight. A great doc that I strongly recommend for all - especially the information minded.
The documentary exposes the realities that surrounds the Wal-Mart empire and what happends when they decide to invade a small town. It was quite sad at times yet it's good that these people's stories have been documented and will hopefully help other little towns get organized.

It seems as though when Wal-Mart decides to move into a town, there us so much behind the move that city halls often open their arms to them without realizing what the impacts will be in the long run.

I won't talk about the film too much because I would really like to start lending my copy around to you guys.

Do they abuse poor countries to sell their shirts for .88 cents? Yes. Do they use every possible techniques to break up employees trying to unionize themselves? Yes. Do they only care about profits? Hell yeah.

Will I go back to Wal-Mart after this? I will definately try not to. Actually, I may go back there to return something that I bought elsewhere and lost the receipt. Call it my own little way of stickin'it to the man.

My question now is: just how many of the stores or big corporations fall in the same category as Wal-Mart? Is HMV a bad guy too? What about The Bay? Sears? Blockbuster?

3 comments:

Palmer said...

I just noticed I gave you the first Matt Mays album...I prefer the new one myself. I shall get around to lending it to you. it rocks more.

iBenoit said...

That's ok. I am really taking a liking to that "Your Heart" song. Sounds a little like a cool Dylan song.

Matt said...

Dibs on the Wal-mart documentary.
That sounds really interesting.

Can you bring it to the next movie night?