3/10/2006

2006 CD Discovery #7 - Tortured Soul: Introducing



Artist: Tortured Soul
Album: Introducing Tortured Soul

The Skinny: I picked up this CD last summer after seeng this band at the International Jazz Festival in Montral. Although not a real discovery of 2006, I find myself coning back to this cd on a regular basis so I thought I would share this with you.

What kind of muzic? Imagine groovy jazzy happy tunes with lots of soul. This trio comes to us from the Bronx in NYC. They have been doing the festival circuits for the last year or two around the world. If they ever come back in this neck of the wood, i'll be there - for sure. It's hard to link them with other bands.. Ever heard Tower of Power music? Some obvious fusion jazz influence in there... other than that, it's simply pure grooves.

Fav tunes are Don't hold me down, "I might do something wrong" and the amazing "Enjoy it now".

Thus unknown musician had this to say about them: 'Don't Hold Me Down' sounds like a happy track I'd wake up to on a Saturday morning when sun is coming through the window. I like the Roy Ayers feeling to it." [Lenny Kravitz, Vibe Magazine, Jan '05]

A great mood setter for those chillin' get togethers. Pure groove and cool melodies!

No comments: