1/10/2006

Hot date + saw Memoirs of a Geisha

Just got back from this hot date with this cute girl named Cinthia. Man, I hope I get to see this babe again soon. She is damn hot! (sigh)

We went to see the movie MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA. It was pretty good. Beatiful cinematography and spectacular music. The music was composed by John Williams of (Star Wars and Jaws fame just to name a few) and the violin solos were played by Itsacc Perlman (you might remember his solos from the Shindler's List soundtrack) and Yo-Yo Ma on cello solo. Awsome stuff.


The strange thing for me was that I recognized a few chinese actors and actresses from the Hong Kong cinema DVDs i own and the story and film was placed in Japan. It was just a little odd to hear chinese actors talking in english and playing japaniese parts. Only an American director would do such a thing (I believe that Rob Marshall is american).

I think I would have appreciated the film more had the actors spoken in their original language though. I don't mind subtitled films and in this case I think it would have added to the experience (if you forget the chinese-japaniese actor shuffle).

I would rate the film a solid 7.5 out of 10. I hadn't read the book but Cinthia who enjoyed the film as well said that it was relatively close to the book.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked it to and I really only noticed a few things that differed from the book. I agree with the language thing. I would rather read subtitles than watch Japanese people speak English to each other in a Japanese accent. sheesh.