2/10/2006

Retro Artoo Strips: Artoo Builds a Pac-Man Cabinet

As some of you know, in the Summer of 2004, I worked with my dad on a project that is very dear to my heart. We built a replica of an old 80s Pac-Man arcade cabinet. Yep, we built it from scratch. I had always dreamed of owning my very own Pac-Man arcade machine. You know, the ones that stant upright and you can put quarters into. Well, that summer, with the help of my dad (and many ideas from my mom), I built one. Here is in pictures how we did it. (note: you can click on an image to enlarge it).
--
Funny -- Afew weeks ago, Ryan and I were chatting about worldly posessions (houses, cars, movies, cds, books). We came to the conclusion that as lucky as we are with all the things we have, there isn't much that isn't replacable. We have alarm systems, fire detectors, etc. but other than our friends and loved ones, there isn't a heck of alot on God's green earth that means taht much to us.

The conversation ensued and it got me thinking about things i own. If I had one thing that i could save from a fire (other than a loved one or animal) what would that one thing be? my answer: this arcade cabinet - not for what it plays or the hardware that is inside but for what it means to me.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Matt = Awe struck, very cool

James said...

This is fantastic. You really showed all the work that went into it by making up this comic/instruction list.

When I played it before at your house, I never realized how much work went into it.

Ferda said...

very cool project!